Faces of the Sport and Fitness Center

Nodine Webster, a newcomer to NECC last semester, is a personal fitness major at NECC. She plans to transfer to Framingham State University once her time at NECC is done, and is passionate about both education and fitness. Webster started working at the Sport and Fitness Center last semester. “When I took the tour here, I just felt like it was a welcome environment, and I have always loved fitness even before coming here,” said Webster.
Webster’s job at the Sport and Fitness Center is part of NECC’s Work Study program. These jobs are great for students who want to get hands on experience in whichever field they are pursuing. Some of Webster’s duties while working in the Sport and Fitness Center include helping students who come in to exercise, computer skills, cleaning the machinery and equipment and making sure everything is organized. “It’s kind of like what you would actually do in an actual fitness center outside of school,” said Webster.
“A lot of people had asked me to help them and help them understand how to do a proper work out,” Webster said. “It allowed a lot of people to connect actually, it’s a great environment. Working with the people is my favorite part, the fitness to me is a no judgment zone — so you do what you want, and work out the way you want, and it works without people judging you.”
Webster is also the pitcher on NECC’s softball team, and the Sport and Fitness Center and work study program help her prepare for the upcoming season. “I come to the gym to train harder, and be prepared for this upcoming softball season, because I’ll be pitching. The program has been building, so I’m hoping to get a lot more fans,” said Webster.
The Sport and Fitness Center is open to all students for free. Joe Murach, a Physical Education major goes to the gym “just to get stronger,” he said.
Students of all different majors and with all different goals take advantage of the Sport and Fitness Center too. Ernest Ewusi, a radiology major, said “I’m just working on my soccer and parkour skills.”
The Sport and Fitness Center’s regular hours are Monday through Thursday, 9 a.m. to 7 p.m., and Friday, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. There’s a Boot Camp offered on Wednesdays at 1 p.m., Functional Movement classes on Thursday at 11 a.m., at 11am on Thursdays, and Cardio Boxing on Tuesdays at 4 p.m.