NECC Observer

The student news website of Northern Essex Community College, Haverhill and Lawrence, Mass.

Carlos Pena Finally Retires

Carlos Pena has decided to finally call it a career and retire from Major League Baseball.

The former Haverhill resident played in the MLB for 14 years for eight different teams. On Friday, Sept. 18, he signed a one day contract with the Tampa Bay Rays the team he holds closest to his heart so he could retire with the club. He played for the Rays from 2007-2010, making it to the World Series in 2008, but eventually losing to the Philadelphia Phillies.

According to the Eagle-Tribune, Pena still thinks about Haverhill to this day.

“Haverhill High prepared me well. It was a great school. The YMCA was where me and my brothers always hung out. We’d get up at four in the morning and go hit in the batting cages in the basement,” Pena told the Tribune.

“I could mention so many people in Haverhill that I’m grateful for.”

In addition to graduating from Haverhill High School, Pena also attended Northeastern University in Boston.

In 1998 he was drafted into the MLB by the Texas Rangers. He got picked in the first round and was the 10th pick overall.

During his 14 years in the MLB, he played 1,494 games, scored 745 runs, piled up 1,146 hits, and hit 286 home runs.

Pena is now an analyst for the MLB Network.