NECC can’t wait for summer

By: Sarah Colpitts

Correspondent

As the days get longer, and temperatures get warmer (sort of), NECC students are looking forward the summer months just weeks away.

May 15 marks the official end of the spring 2016 semester, and students are ready to break free from the books.

Journalism major Francisco Tejada said, “I’m looking forward to a mental break from school and to have more free time for family, work and being outside for the warm summer weather.”

Warm weather is ideal for summer trips. Journalism major Kyle Wood said, “My buddies and I are gonna go up to Saco River. I plan on swinging on a bunch of rope swings, hanging around the campfire and just relaxing on a float in the river.”

Liberal Arts major Shaena Sandoval also plans to get away with friends. Sandoval said, “I’m planning on renting a house in Hampton Beach for a weekend with my friends.”

While some students travel plans consist of great adventures in the New England area, others like Criminal Justice major, Leyaliz Correa plan to travel a bit further away. “I’m planning to go on vacation with my daughter to Puerto Rico for three weeks,” Correa said. “My grandparents live there and I plan to go to the national rainforest.”

As much as time off from school is a great chance to take a vacation somewhere, it’s also a great time to get some extra hours at work.

Sandoval said, “I’m planning on getting a second job so I can work more hours and save for a car.”

The best part about summer is the extra free time, but it’s all about balance.

“I plan on working full time landscaping but I still plan on fishing as much as possible,” said Tejada.

Finals begin May 10 and last through May 16.  After students put their pencils down and walk off campus, it will be the last time they occupy NECC until the fall semester.

Although students are looking forward to summer freedom and time off from school, there will be certain things they miss about NECC.

“I will miss the school café for sure,” said Wood. “The ooey gooey cheese pizza is the bomb.”

Correa said, “I will miss the feeling of accomplishment after I finished writing a long essay.”

While it’s sure going to be bittersweet, it’s definitely time to let loose for summer and celebrate all the hard work that went into the past two semesters.

Hopefully that isn’t going to jinx our fabulous hot summer months, but we get it: it’s time for a break!