Donate blood and save a life

The American Red Cross will be holding a blood drive here at Northern Essex on  Wednesday, Nov.7.

The purpose of the blood drive is to help people of all ages, people who have had organ transplants, heart surgery, burn victims, and even people who suffer from cancer. Many other people benefit from this blood drive, people who battle with sickle cell disease or other chronic diseases. The blood drive is not only open to students but also to the public. In order to be eligible to participate as a blood donor you must be in good health, 16 years of age, you must weigh at least 110 lbs, and you have not donated blood in the last 56 days.

Coordinator of civic engagement  Janel D’Agata-Lynch encourages  everyone to be a part of the blood drive. She says “When people are in critical conditions, the only way to get blood is from other people”

¨We want as many people to donate.¨ Not everyone can donate blood because of some health limitations, but it is encouraged for students to help out even if its at the check in table.

¨We want to help in some shape or form.¨ Says D’ Agata-Lynch says.

A former nurse alumni Catherine Ramos says ¨I was never qualified to be a blood donor, but I highly encourage my friends to do it. It is vital to help those people in need, and a donation can save a life.”

Ramos wants student to realize that a simple act can help a person who is struggling with their health.

Luisamaria Cruz, currently enrolled in the dental assisting program here at NECC says, “I personally like it and was always interested in doing it, but I never did , because I was always curious about the requirements.”

Cruz admits that she would be willing to help out knowing that she could possibly save a life.

For more information and to find other blood drives near you visit  www.redcrossblood.org  or call 1-800-Red Crosss