In the stars?

Students weigh in on horoscopes

According to www.independent.co.uk, 58 percent of 18-24-year-old Americans believe astrology is scientific.

Skepticism of astrology is decreasing. There are people who obsess over their horoscope, and some that look at theirs daily and truly believe and live by them.

“I believe in horoscopes, I love them and read mine everyday,” says Northern Essex student Emily Wood.

“There have been so many times when I’ve read my horoscope and it has been so spot on it’s insane, but I’m not blind to the fact that they are kept so vague to the point where it can be related to almost anyone’s life,” she said.

She also says that she sometimes saves photos of her horoscopes so that she can go back to see if the predictions ended up being correct.

However, there are people who don’t understand this belief.

It seems baffling to some people that others believe that the alignment  of the stars can determine your mood and how your day will go.

“I think they’re dumb, I never read mine and I don’t believe in them,” said Northern Essex student Justin Stanley.

NECC student Sarah Norton does not believe in horoscopes either,

She said she believes people use their horoscope as a safety net to get out of things.

It also brings comfort to people if they believe they are connected to the universe in that way, receiving enough of its energy that it is the answer to why we act the way we do and why we feel the ways we feel during certain times, she said.

“I think it just gives people excuses to use for certain behavior, like ‘it’s not my fault I’m so tired and moody, I’m a Cancer,’” Norton says.