Digital solace: Local IT support specialist assists with tech literacy

Angel Garcia
Angel Garcia and family celebrate New Year’s 2020.

Angel Garcia, 34, of Lawrence is using his Associate of Science degree from Middlesex Community College with a focus in computer software and networking to help those in need during the COVID-19 pandemic.

“During the pandemic I’ve been helping friends and family stay or get connected online. Whether it’s getting the kids online so they can attend a class. Helping people pay their bills online. Fill out unemployment, renew drivers and professional licenses and things of that nature,” said Garcia in an email. “I’m also helping people start the offline to online transition and figure out how to monetize their passions.”

Once Garcia’s employer, IFS Core in Billerica, gave the order to work remotely in early March, he decided to set up a Discord server so that he and his co-workers could communicate in a sort of virtual office. This is when he first realized that other people could benefit from his help navigating technology during this time. He advertised his offer to help on Facebook. “I knew this would affect more people and decided to post on my timeline offering help,” he said.

Garcia has always been one willing to lend a helping hand whenever needed and this pandemic would not be the exception.

“…serving the community isn’t new for me. I served on the Greater Lawrence Technical High School Committee from 2014-2017 and I’ve been streaming on Twitch for about a year now and via this medium, I’ve been able to help 3 of my viewers get their A+ certification and improve their lives,” he said.

Garcia has helped over 30 people get acquainted with technology in various ways since COVID-19 first made local headlines. Initially he was comfortable going to homes in person but as the pandemic has progressed, he has decided it is safer to help remotely.

“Everyone is pretty appreciative of the help and happy to get connected and get things done. And I’ve helped across a wide range of ages from 20’s-60’s plus,” he said.

Garcia plans on helping people with their technology needs for as long is necessary, free of charge. “I’ve been blessed to be able to continue to work from home through all this, so I have not had the need to charge for any of my services to the community,” he said.

Garcia encourages anyone who wants to help during the pandemic to do so by finding a way to use their passion to help those in need. “…That way, it doesn’t feel like work. And if nothing else, make a monetary donation to a family in need. Show your neighbor they are not alone,” he said.

If you or anyone you know could use help with setting up or using technology during this time, Garcia would be happy to help. He can be reached by telephone at (978) 566-1707 or email at help@agmoments.com.