Students reflect on first semester of online courses

Since the beginning of the coronavirus pandemic, students have been required to experience college life through virtual events and online curriculum.

Participating in online courses instead of in-person classes has greatly influenced the academic involvement of many — both positively and negatively.

After speaking with several NECC students, most have shared and expressed their personal feelings regarding how they’ve managed to cope with online learning and the lack of social interaction among peers and professors throughout this past semester.

“I’m so behind in a lot of my classes, but I’m just going to have to power through it,” says Isa Grullon, 34, a journalism and communications major from Lawrence, who is also the editor-in-chief of the NECC Observer.

“I miss being in a classroom with people to interact with in real time and have well-rounded discussions, as opposed to via Blackboard,” Grullon explains.

When asked if online learning is easier or more difficult for her to manage, Grullon said that she has felt more discouraged to participate because of her frustration at the “disconnected social medium.”

“I like listening to other people’s questions in case they think of something I didn’t.” she continues, “The experience is different in a Blackboard setting because it takes days for people to respond.”

Grullon also described her struggle with procrastination, as she feels it is, “A gift and a curse. I work better under pressure, but I realized I only cause myself more grief. By rushing through the process, I’m only robbing myself of the true experiences that I should be having.”

Regarding her overall impression of taking online courses, Grullon states, “It’s not for me.”

On the contrary, Finn Sparrow, 19, a journalism and communications major from Haverhill, expressed that he loves online learning more than in-person because, “I can work at my own pace and I don’t have to listen to a teacher talk for such a long time. I’ve primarily taken online classes and have been pretty successful.”

Sparrow has taken online courses at NECC since his junior year of high school and has managed to maintain a 3.5 GPA throughout the entirety of that duration.

“I’ve been able to balance work, school, and time for myself. I get everything in on time. I think the only thing that I would change is for me to be able to meet new people,” he stated.

Sparrow’s three recommendations for an improved online college experience are, “Keep up with your work, check your email, and don’t get lazy.”

Victoria Martinez, 19, a health major from Haverhill, explained how she feels overwhelmed with what’s going on in the present world. As she recently graduated from high school in May, experiencing college online has been a major transition.

Martinez finds that it is more challenging for her to remain motivated and focused because using the computer is her only source of communication.

“I don’t go on the computer every day. I would have a better chance at success by attending my classes in-person. The environment gives me motivation,” she says.

Martinez does, however, appreciate that by using Blackboard, she has access to all course work material, is visually reminded of assignments due dates, and can repeat lecture videos according to her own pace.

As the upcoming conclusion of semester-one swiftly approaches, Martinez expressed, “I’m excited for a fresh start now that I know what to expect in the future.”

The stressful habit of procrastination, wavering control of self-discipline, and the lack of social interaction and communication have been the focal struggles of which many NECC students are currently facing throughout their first semester of college online.

Nevertheless, despite adversity and an unfamiliar atmosphere for most, NECC students have successfully managed to learn and progress in a positive light — potentially looking forward to a brighter future as they now are now equipped with the knowledge and experience of this new virtual reality.