Student Government Association leaders want to be voice of students

Empowering fellow students, building character, and understanding what’s happening on campus:  that’s what the Student Government Association is and why its leaders choose to be involved.

The Student Government exists to “represent the student body – we’re their voice,” said SGA President and Laboratory Science major, Lam Tien. The SGA will “address any questions and concerns,” he said.

SGA meetings are open to all students, and meet virtually the first and last Thursday of each month at 4 p.m.

“I enjoy being part of SGA. [It] helps me develop into a better communicator, and a better leader,” Tien said.

Tien said he also uses some of what he learned from his 11 years in the U.S Army to be a leader in the SGA. “Be reliable, be dependable. Have integrity, [and] be honest in everything you do,” he said.

Students can keep up with SGA by following them on social media. Their Twitter and Instagram handle is “NECCSGA.” They are “Northern Essex Community College: Student Government Association” on Facebook.

Tien said the best way to contact them is through their student emails found on the SGA page.

“I believe students would want to attend an SGA meeting to understand the background of what goes on in the school … so that they know we care about properly representing students,” said SGA treasurer, Iseline Mendoza. Mendoza is an Accounting and Business transfer student.

“As a leader, I aim to create a positive environment,” she said. Mendoza said she wants to do that because she remembers her high school student government as “being ‘cliquey’.”

“I joined SGA because I had concerns about the pandemic and how other students were going through it. I wanted to be the first to hear information,” she said. Mendoza said she uses her position to gather information and spread it to students through social media and events.

“We are always available to meet 1-on-1. I can not stress that enough,” said Alyssa Piccolo. At 19 years old, Piccolo is the SGA Secretary and an Early Childhood Education Major at NECC.

Piccolo said she wants other students to feel welcome talking to her. “We’re not here to be intimidating,” she said. “I can provide others with the information they may not see themselves getting – and I can provide it faster,” she said.

Piccolo said that being in SGA is a mutually beneficial experience because she learns while she helps fellow students. To be a Northern Essex Knight is to “follow what you know is right, [and] lead by example,” she said. “I’m someone who cares a lot, and I’m passionate about what I do,” she said.