NECC Observer

The student news website of Northern Essex Community College, Haverhill and Lawrence, Mass.

A first-year radiologic technology student shares her NECC journey

Current student, Kali Bergeron, 20, of Salem, N.H., is spending her second semester at Northern Essex.

Bergeron is in her prerequsit year of her courses to beome a radiologist. Bergeron explains her path to radiology and her experiences at NECC.

Bergeron is the youngest of three siblings. She played soccer from elementry school and high school.

“I was dissapointed Northern Essex didn’t have a soccer program, because I played since I was little” said Bergeron. She was at NECC in the past playing basketball. She is currently emplyoed at Northeast Rehabilitation Center in Salem N.H. working in housekeeping. I worked with her there as well, which is how I met her.

A graduate from Salem High school in 2019 left that fall with the intention of training to join the National Guard as a Criminal Justice major at the North Greenville Univeristy in South Carolina. After one semester Bergeron lost intrest in criminal justice and returned home to Salem, N.H., and her job at Northeast Rehabilitaastion center.

Bergeron strugled to find hours in the dishroom so she shifted her attention with Housekeeping.

“I couldn’t find enough hours in the dishroom, so I was intrestd in trying housekeeping like cleaning patients rooms” said Bergeron.

Working as a housekeeper is what drove her to radiology.

“I enjoyed working around the patients while cleaning their rooms and helping them when they needed it,” Bergeron said.

“A path to radiologiology requires a prerequiste year and then a two year program of science courses, then you can get any job open.”

A radiologic technologist works with a variety of  equipment responsible for diagnosing injuries and illness with such as X-rays and MRI.

This is Bergeron’s first year since enrolling at NECC in January 2020. “I chose Northern Essex because it was the only school close by home to offer a radiologist program,” she said.

COVID-19 did not really effect her classes at NECC.

“The pandemic really hasn’t effected my learning, I wasn’t living on a campus unlike Greenville,” she said. “Online clasess are easy for me. Plus I am only taking two courses so I can still work. I’m taking a chemistry course right now. The program requiers a lot of chemistry and science.”