Knights dealing with injuries face tough lost at home

On Veterans Day, Thursday Nov.11, the NECC Knights faced Southern Maine Community College.

They didn’t have a big crowd in hand like the past two home games, Ninety-nine people were in attendance to watch the game at the Sports and Fitness Center.

Before the game I had a chance to talk with the head coach to give me an injury update.

This team is currently dealing with several players who are injured early on in the season.

” I want to say probably couple of weeks away Matt (D’Amoto) comeback he has a high ankle sprain that he is receiving treatment for. Jaleek (Urena) he has a groin injury that has been hampering him right after the first game so we basically shut him down until November 20 and then we test him out. Matt will live in week by week I imagine his  2 to 3 weeks out… and we dealing a issue with Mehmet (Asik)… he has been battling with an illness,…” Stratton said.

The first half Southern Maine were leading 34-22 at the half.

Knights in action against Southern Maine Community College on Veterans Day. Photo by Jose Rodriguez, Sports Editor

Overall, the Knights did not have a good game at all and could not keep up the momentum from their last game. Overall, the Knights were shooting 18.8% from the three-point line and a 41.9% from the free throw line. They were outscored.

Southern Maine was taking advantage of the chances that the Knights did not capitalize on and they made them pay for it.

The second half, that is when the game got out of hand, and they were no shot for the Knights to come back. Southern Main outscored them 56-36 in the second half. It was enough to defeat the Knights 90 to 54.

As a result, the Knights suffered their first loss of the season at home during the 2021-2022 season. During the post-game the assistant head coach Joe told me it was going to be hard for me to get an interview with the coach but I can try. Another of his assistant head coach was trying to get a few players for me and it didn’t work out.

The team was frustrated, and I understand why. They lost by 36 points on their home court.

Immediately after Coach Stratton talked to his players in the locker room he went to his office and checked his email.

None of the players wanted to talk to me.

The Knights will go on the road to play against Eastern Nazarene JV on Nov. 17 at 7 PM and on Nov. 20 it will be the second division conference game of the season. They will host University of Connecticut at Avery Point. Game time is scheduled for 1:30 PM.