NECC Observer

The student news website of Northern Essex Community College, Haverhill and Lawrence, Mass.

Dejalee Torres made history

Dejalee Torres of Lawrence made history on Dec. 1 when she became the first woman volleyball player in school history to earn All American Honors.

During the season she played 13 games 2.81 kill per set, .181 hitting percentage, 0.48 assist per set, 0.29 kills per set, 0.54 service per set, 2.60 digs per set according to neccknights.com She also led in all regions in both kills and kills per set.   

“When I receive my All American it was definitely surprising, I wasn’t expecting to win All American I know I was nominated but All American is a very big brad like achievement and I know I was nominated but I wasn’t really certain that I was going to win it was very surprising and also confident that knowing that I am a good player, not within the region but around the country,” said Torres.  

NJCAA All-American Dejalee TorresCourtesy neccknights.com

NJCAA All-American Dejalee Torres

She also told me that she felt very blessed and honored to win the award. She been playing volleyball since middle school and-all that hard work is paying off in a positive way. She never envisioned or imagined in her first year at NECC something magical would’ve happened in on her career. 

“To be honest a lot of the achievement that I received this volleyball season were all very shocking just for the simple fact our team this year wasn’t really the best we started off with having a NJCAA All-American  whole lot of girls and we slowly lost a lot of players due to injury so I wasn’t expecting much out of the season so for us to go far as far as we did and also for me to get all the recognition it was very surprising,” said Torres.  

In the future when she leaves NECC she is not sure if she wants to continue playing volleyball, but she knows she will be playing volleyball 100 percent for NECC next upcoming season as Torres will try to help the team to capture region 21 championship. As of right know she hasn’t received any kind of offers once she leaves the Northern Essex.

“Overall Torres will become the 42nd name (17th female) added to the All-American wall in the annals of the Knights athletic program and second this  calendar year joining baseball’s Nick White,” according to neccknights.com  

Watch out for Dejalee Torres I see a bright future on her and let’s see if she can repeat what she did this past season after an unbelievable 2021 campaign that helped the team to become NJCAA runner-up champions  after losing on the finals to Community College of Rhode Island (CCRI) on late October.