“Diana” Review

The production of “Diana” the musical came out on Netflix on Oct 1. 2021; the creators of this show were Christopher Ashley, with choreography by Kelly Devine.

Back in February 2019, the show was only previewed in the La Jolla Playhouse, and then in March, the exhibition was opened on the 3rd. But the production stopped when Covid-19 hit the world. The show was supported to be back in 2020, but again the pandemic delayed it. Luckily in the summer of 2020, the Broadway production had done a show with Covid safety protocols in place and no audience. I have always been fascinated by Princess Diana’s story. I watched many documentaries on her life in London with the royal family.

I also love musicals, so this was right in line with my interest, and I saw many people reviewing it. Everyone was hyping it up and saying it was terrific, so I had to see for myself. They were not wrong. The musical was beautiful, and the casting was perfect; Jeanna de Waal, the actress, was absolutely an excellent Diana.

The music was enjoyable and would make anyone want to sing along as well as dance. The costumes were unbelievable and right on the dot of what the characters would wear during that time. I think this music does Diana’s story justice and shows the feelings from beginning to end. It never goes into disrespecting territory, and when it goes to very serious parts of her life, they always keep it passionate and rough.

I recommend everyone who loves musicals and learning about Diana or about the royal family to watch it. It’s worth it.