Stop the trend

Everyone has somewhat fallen into a need for greed or small desire to be recognized at some point, but when the quality of the idea to bring them there has lost its originality then it should be forgotten instead of repeated again and again.

In today’s current state of the world, plenty of things within the media are flooded and overpopulated. Whether it is streaming services or apps on your phone, there are copycat concepts carrying the same six second videos anywhere you look.

Once one person gains a following for doing something, that may be original, it is copied and pasted into an endless depth of remakes and repeats. To this point, the sequel to a movie is rarely as good as the first and never needed to be made in the first place, even though it is almost guaranteed to bring in money as a meaningless cash grab.

People have dropped into an addictive blackhole of swiping on their phones and while some of it is good for unwinding, it can be detrimental to productivity within things that matter.

If the things that they were seeing weren’t copycat artists it would probably be easier to filter through the garbage and not be as addictive.

A former Northern Essex Community College student, Kyle McCarthy is just getting home from work as he puts his bag down and says, “Sometimes my screen time on my phone is averaging over fifteen hours a day. It probably isn’t productive, but I don’t look at it as that big of a deal.” McCarthy  is a perfect example of why the product that is being consumed has been on repeat and needs to have an escape.

A graduate of Northern Essex Community College, Ian Miller, who now goes to UMass Lowell is just woken up by a phone call as he says, “I had way too many things going on in my life and found myself spending way too much time on any of those apps, so I ended up deleting them and got a lot more of my schoolwork done earlier than I was before.”

Miller went cold turkey from all of the infinite amount of distractions on his phone and never looked back.

This is for sure a great approach to this situation, but if you could fix them from the source instead of having to hold and delete then it could be beneficial for the many others who find themselves in a rut from the brain-numbing streaming.

A graduate of UMass Lowell named Victoria Rouleau scoops up her cat and says, “I don’t use most of those apps, but my feed for the ones that I do use consists of just people that I know personally and it definitely is not cutting into things that I need to get done.”

This is about the only way that these apps can be consumed without tripping into the pit of the same material. If more people did this their screen time would be a lot lower than it is today.

Originality is a good source of inspiration to others and the failure to put out this content can do the exact opposite.

Even though it would be a nearly impossible feat to help fix the platform from where most people in society sit, it would still be great for someone to stop the trend of repetition.