NECC Observer

The student news website of Northern Essex Community College, Haverhill and Lawrence, Mass.

NECC Knights soccer lose to CCRI Knights

On Friday Oct. 14, Community College of Rhode Island (CCRI Knights) defeated NECC Knights 3 to 1 to snap the soccer Knights  four game winning streak.

Knights had a four game winning streak coming into Oct. 14 contest in the Haverhill campus.

It was a return of Coach First Name Marote who had missed a few games because he was sick.

“Yeah, you know it was definitely hard. I was actually watching sideline from a far in my vehicle keeping eye on my team and you know our assistant coach did very well the last two matches pick up a couple win,” said Marote.“ So that’s always a great thing, you know our coaching staff here we believe everyone who is part of it from me to my assistant coaches and my goalkeeper coach. So it was good I am happy to be back, a nice beautiful day big game in conference today, it can factor a lot of things for us if we win today.”

The game was supposed to start at 3:30 but the CCRI Knights did not arrive until 3:50, 20 minutes after the start time.

The game officially started at 4:04.

In the fifth minutes of the game Sam De Amorim of Methuen almost scored as he kicked it directly to the goaltender.

Photo by Editor-in-Chief / Sports Editor Jose Rodriguez

NECC Knights soccer vs CCRI Knights

In the 20th minute of the game Fadi Serhan of Middleton missed an opportunity that would’ve put up the Knights 1-0, but instead he over kicked as the Knights missed that opportunity to take the lead.

In the twenty minutes Juan Barrios of Pawtucket, R.I. scored the first goal of the game an assist of his brother Roy Barrios of Pawtucket, R.I.

In the 25th minute of the game the referee gave Cam’ron Aldana of Providence, R.I., a yellow card.

The Knights had few opportunities in the first half but couldn’t cash in as they missed a few opportunities.

In the first half the NECC Knights had eight shots on goal and CCRI had five. Both teams had at least one corner kick in the first half. CCRI Knights had six fouls while NECC Knights had four. The NECC Knights had two offside while CCRI Knights had one. NECC Knights had eight saves while CCRI Knights had four.

In the second half in the 74 minutes Wilson Penafiel of Providence, R.I. scored on an assist from Juan Barrios.

In the 81 minutes Penafiel scored the second goal of the ball game in an assist fromf Aaron Ramos of Warwick.

One minute later, Casey Darcey of Warwick, R.I., was issued a yellow card.

In the second half CCRI Knights had seven shots on goal while the NECC Knights had four. CCRI Knights had four corner kick while NECC Knights had two. NECC Knights had seven fouls while CCRI Knights had one. NECC Knights had five saves and CCRI had four.