Women’s Basketball looking for recruits for 2023-24 season

The NECC women’s basketball head coach is Malaquias Canery, Coach Canery also serve an assistant head coach for the men’s basketball team as he is a part of Coach Darren Stratton’s coaching staff.

I asked him about his knowledge of the game and how the different clubs and organizations he has been with will help him succeed as a head coach.

“… I have some experience overseas which kinda gives me overall different view of the game, different perspective and being here at NECC in the Men’s staff this is my third season,” he said. “I have been able to learn a lot under coach Darren Stratton, Joe Tardif, Nick Nofi, just able to pick up a lot of tips and tricks and really you know level my game up. On the side I also do a lot of personal training and there I kinda get on the women’s side of the game also just learning how to interact with both sides of the game at all different levels. So I think all that came together on my experience and what I bring at the table here,” he said.

We talked about what kind of athletes that he wants to recruit for the 2023-24 season.

Malaquias Canrey of Lawrence Women's basketball head coach
Malaquias Canery of Lawrence Women’s basketball head coach Photo by neccknights.com

“I am just looking for girls that want to work and girls that want to listen and be coached up and wants to get better and want to win games at the end of the day. Just looking for girls that want to win games, work hard, compete every day. I think that doesn’t have a shape or color or any kind of label just is kinda inside of you so any girls that has that they are more than welcomed to come battle,” he said.

Canery and myself talked about how many open sports are in the roster and how many girls are committed to play for the upcoming season.

“Everything is open at this point. We have some girls that had been inquiring, a lot of girls have expressed interest and definitely casting that need in terms of trying to put the word out, but few girls express interest for this year, but just wasn’t enough but we have a few girls committed for next year and hopefully we can get some of this local talent and mix them in,” he said.

As a coach player he should expect out of energy he mentioned to me. I am not sure what this sentence is supposed to say, it doesn’t make sense as it is.

“I’m bringing energy everyday,” Canery said. “Good vibes, we’re going to work, we’re going to work hard and is going to be every day. I’m definitely not a drill sergeant and not trying to run a boot camp here but is definitely with an idea every time we are here in the gym were trying to get better…” he said.