A Semester to Remember

By Alex Dehullu

For the past month, Massachusetts has been getting snowstorm after snowstorm, bringing more snow than anyone in the area is accustomed to. It seems hard to believe that the snow is finally slowing down and things are beginning to return to normal.

For each of the blizzards NECC was left with no option but to cancel classes for one or two days. Students were excited to receive the text alert from NECC, giving them more and more days off.

Now that the snow is clearing and classes are returning to their normal schedules, students along with professors need to find a way to make up for lost time.
Every class has a required amount of lecture hours and the several class hours missed from the snow is causing a lot of confusion and stress for both students and teachers.

One NECC student, Patrick Murphy, said, “I know for a fact one of my friends professors has already added ten to fifteen minutes to all future classes in order to make up for all those missed classes, and that makes me wonder what I should expect from my professors.”

Some NECC professors have already decided how they are planning on making up the lost lecture hours, but there are some that have either not decided or not informed their students on what they plan to do.

Brian Adamopoulos, a full time NECC student, said, “I noticed very quickly how my professors began to speed up their lesson plans after the snow and the extra work is stressing me out. The snow really disrupted this semester and I’m really hoping it doesn’t harm my grades.”

To some, it may seem unfair for teachers to go through information at a faster pace in order to catch up to where they were supposed to be, but at this point professors are not left with many options.

Other professors decided to continue teaching at the same pace and push back future tests and quizzes.

Mario Encarnacion, a student at NECC, discussed in an interview earlier this week how his microeconomics professor was one of the professors who decided it was best to continue the semester at the pace as before the blizzards. His professor has pushed the first test back over a week to ensure the students had time to prepare.
Encarnacion said, “It was really a relief to find out that the test had been moved back. I’m still not sure what my professor is planning on doing to make up those missed classes, though.”

Even though these blizzards have finally taken a break, it’s clear that the professors along with the students have a lot of work ahead of them before the end of this spring semester.