Is isolation introvert heaven?

Patricia Gosselin and her dog

You enjoy spending time alone? Check.

You’d rather spend time with one close friend than with a crowd? Check.

You prefer calm, mildly stimulating environments rather than loud, rowdy ones? Check.

After several conclusive internet quizzes, endless field research conducted by myself, and constant comparisons between myself and others, I’ve come to realize that even though I once thought of myself as an extrovert, I am most definitely, without a doubt, an introvert to my core. Though I’m not alone, intovertdear.com says somewhere between 30-50% of the US population are introverts, it can feel extremely lonely some days. In quarantine, not so much.

Are the current guidelines for social distancing a godsend for those of us who self-identify as introverts? It can feel like it. There are no social obligations at this time, not only are you encouraged to stay home but your peers would judge you if you didn’t practice proper social distancing.

For those of us who are introverts and also students, the shift to online learning can be helpful. Anxiety can be a common symptom among introverts, according to PsychologyToday and they can face anxiety in just showing up for class. For me, some days it feels like a grueling task just to get dressed and drive much less be there, so the switch to remote learning comes as a welcomed change. I can work, on my own, at my own pace and Zoom events are far less draining than in-person classes or meetings.

An introvert can feel depleted after social events, almost as if every interaction is a withdrawal from their bank of emotions, and usually the only way to re-charge or make deposits back into that bank is to spend time alone, says buffer.com. With the current social climate, there are minimal social settings and a plethora of re-charge opportunities.

I’m in heaven, you know, besides the whole pandemic thing, don’t get me wrong I would never intend to minimize the deaths of thousands. It feels like this world was made for me, rather than before, where I felt like an outsider most times. The status quo finally leans in my favor.

So, if I, and people like me, are thriving in this moment of increased social distance, then what does the future hold when things begin to return to normal. If anything, I believe more people will have discovered that they too enjoy working/learning from home and social distancing and might want to continue the practice.