Burrill wins national pitcher of the week

Levi Burrill, an Amesbury native, took the mound in game two of the Knights doubleheader against nationally ranked Northampton Community College on March 22.

Burrill is one of the captains for the baseball team and is headed to play baseball at Franklin Pierce next year.

He has been around Coach Mejia and the NECC baseball program for a few years and iso ne of the top guys on the team.

Not only does he get it done on the field, but he is a favorite with all of his teammates.

When game 2 of Saturday’s games started, Burrill wasted no time getting settled in.

Theweather in Bethlehem, PA was the nicest it’s been all year and it came at the right time for NECC.

Burrill had all of his pitches working that day, especially his changeup.

Northampton struggled with his offspeed pitches and when they did put the ball in play, the Knights defense was there to back up Burrill.

The Knights won game 2 by a score of 3-2, including an 11 strikeout full game performance from Burrill which won him National Player of the Week.

“I felt good when I woke up today and just had that feeling. We had a really good week of practice after we got back from New Jersey and guys were ready to go this weekend. We had big hits all day from Logan Burrill, Joe Muzio, and Clay Campbell. I just had to go out there and compete.”

Competing is what he did, throwing over 100 pitches and having double digit strikeouts for his team.

“I love these guys and I love the coaches. We’re really lucky to get the chance to playbecause a lot of teams got cancelled this spring. I’m just really happy that I get to have a seasonwith my teammates after everything we’ve been through.”

The baseball team got back to action on March 25 with a double header against Fisher College at Fraser Field in Lynn.

Note: Tom Cattaneo is a member of the NECC Knights baseball team.