A balancing act: Alumn shares advice on juggling school, work and family responsibilities

There’s a pressure to work today, especially for college students. Student debt is a fear that looms over many student’s heads, as well as the desire to move away from home and be their own person. There’s also the belief that if you have free time as a college student, especially one attending community college, then you should fill that time with a job, which isn’t always the best option for some.

The cost of living is increasing as well as student debt, and no matter what, students are scrambling to catch up to the cost of living in today’s world. Many students are also parents trying to earn a degree while raising a child. So how do they manage this pressure, and the stress that comes from being enrolled in college at the same time?

For Kelly Aleska, she found it quite stressful, but also rewarding. Aleska attended Northern Essex Community College and got her associate’s in 2018, then later transferred to UMass Lowell to earn her degree in psychology with a concentration in developmental disabilities in 2020. While she was in school, she was a waitress at Not Your Average Joes in Methuen. She also was a single mother taking care of her son.

“I took online classes whenever I could because it allowed for more flexible hours. When I had to go in person I would go while my son was at school, and I would work at night. My mother helped babysit mostly,” she said.

Balancing school, work and raising a child at the same time was difficult for Aleksa. “It was stressful to find the time to get everything done,” she said. “I found myself giving away shifts when it came close to finals even though I had rent to pay.”

Like Aleksa, many students decide to lose time during work so they can focus on school, but it’s not a decision many make lightly. Some advice Aleksa gives to other students is to use whatever resources you have. “Apply for scholarships even if you think you won’t get them, and use your time wisely,” she said.

Aleksa was also a part of the PACE program at Northern Essex Community College who helped her find scholarships. Northern Essex has a great support center from Academic Coaching, the PACE program, and even childcare services.