Seawolves volleyball defeat the Knights

On Thursday Sept. 15, the NECC Knights Women’s Volleyball was defeated three sets to none against Southern Maine Community College Seawolves in South Portland, Maine.

First set 25-11, second set 25-17 and the third set 25-10.

The game was originally scheduled for 6:30 but the league changed the start time to 7 pm.

The Knights almost lost the game due to forfeit as they came just 11 minutes before the clock hits 7 pm.

“Yeah, so we couldn’t leave any earlier because we wouldn’t have enough girls so we would’ve have to forfeit either way so that’s why we came a little late,” said assistant head coach active manager  Marissa Reardon.

When the Knights got there, they had 40 minutes to warm up and stretch and get ready for the game.

NECC Head Coach Mike Pelosi of Haverhill did not travel with the team to South Portland, instead it was assistant head coach Reardon in charge.

I asked her after the game why Pelosi did not travel with the team.

“He had a prior commitment that he couldn’t miss today, so he ask me to coach today and I had the opportunity to coach today,” she said.

The game officially started at 7:36 pm.

The Knights were down early against the Seawolves. The Knights was losing 13-4 when assistant head coach and active manager Reardon decided to call a time out.

Knights volleyball in a match against Southern Maine
Knights volleyball in a match against Southern Maine Photo by Editor-In-Chief/ Sports Editor Jose Rodriguez

The Knights was taken advantage of the opportunity as  the Seawolves was hitting the ball outside of the court which means the Knights get a point but it wasn’t enough as Seawolves won the first set 25 to 11.

I had a chance to interview Ashley Martinez of Lawrence after the game and we talked about the first set that wasn’t played aggressively aggressive like the second set.

“At first it was a little bit new we have new plays. I started playing today but then in the second set we started to communicate better process in the game” she said.

The second set the Knights played a little bet better and more aggressive. They began the set strong on a 5-0 run but then when the Knights were  winning 9-7 the Seawolves then took control of the second set. The he Knights gave up the lead and the Seawolves went on top and the Knights lost the second  set 25-7.

“Yes, I was very proud we were working on our serving and our serves set? and I definitely think the second set proved that we were working on it,” said Reardon.

Seawolves in the third set began the set on a 10-1 run. The Knights didn’t have anything to show for on the last set as they lost 25-10.

“I do believe at some point we did collapse, but we do, every team has strength and weaknesses and I think we show that in few of the sets but I believe the second set was one of our best set ever,” said assistant coach active manager Reardon.