How women dominated the 2024 Grammys: Are awards shows finally moving in a new direction?

Three women standing holding Grammy award trophies
Boygenius (Phoebe Bridgers from left, Lucy Dacus, and Julien Baker) celebrate their three Grammy award wins Photo courtesy of xboygeniusx on Instagram

Award season is in full swing, an exciting time for enjoyers of all things entertainment. The 66th Annual Grammy Awards were held on Sunday, February 4th, and proved to be an important night in the music world. 

Of all discourse surrounding the award show, one of the most prevalent topics has been the role that women have played in making the Grammys what it was. As stated by host Trevor Noah in his opening monologue, women artists were all over the list of nominees for the night, even covering seven of eight nominees for Album Of The Year.

Throughout the day, the major successes of women started during the Premiere Ceremony, in which awards for non-major categories get presented. The Grammys introduced a brand new category this year, Best African Music Performance. This award was presented to Tyla, a young South African up and coming artist, for her song “Water”. “‘What the heck?!’ she declared once on stage. ‘This is crazy, I never thought I’d say I won a GRAMMY at 22 years old,’” the Grammys website states.

During the official Grammys ceremony, the wins for women certainly didn’t end. Taylor Swift won the award for Best Pop Vocal Album for Midnights, which happened to be Swift’s thirteenth Grammy award. During her acceptance speech, Swift announced her new studio album, The Tortured Poets Department, which is set to release on April 19th. 

Swift later in the night went on to win Album Of The Year, also for Midnights, making her the first musician to have won four Album Of The Year awards.

Along with a performance of “What Was I Made For,” Billie Eilish’s contribution to the “Barbie” soundtrack, Eilish won the award for Song Of The Year for the track. While accepting the award with her brother and music partner, Finneas O’Connell, Eilish heavily contests her win, pointing out the seemingly stacked category. “I’m shocked,” Eilish states during her speech.

During the ceremony, SZA  accepts the award for Best R&B song for “Snooze” off of her album SOS, also nominated for Album Of The Year. She is seen with her phone in her hand while accepting her award, having only just changed from her performance of “Kill Bill” earlier in the night.

SZA tells People Magazine “It’s the culmination of everything. Of the moments leading up to that, even Lizzo and not realizing what was happening and being lost. Then I saw her and I was like, ‘Oh.’ I was realizing what was happening,” in reference to Lizzo, a long time friend of hers, presenting her award.

Victoria Monét wins the award for Best New Artist at the award ceremony. “My roots have been growing underneath ground, unseen, for so long, and I feel like today I’m sprouting, finally above ground,” Monét states in her emotional acceptance speech.

The Grammys also proved to be a big night for supergroup Boygenius, (pictured Phoebe Bridgers from left, Lucy Dacus, and Julien Baker) as they won three awards in Award season is in full swing, an exciting time for enjoyers of all things entertainment. The 66th Annual Grammy Awards were held on Sunday, February 4th, and proved to be an important night in the music world. 

During the ceremony, SZA (pictured) accepts the award for Best R&B song for “Snooze” off of her album SOS, also nominated for Album Of The Year. She is seen with her phone in her hand while accepting her award, having only just changed from her performance of “Kill Bill” earlier in the night.

The Grammys also proved to be a big night for supergroup Boygenius, comprised of Julien Baker, Phoebe Bridgers, and Lucy Dacus, as they won three awards in the rock and alternative music categories. “Music saved my life. Everyone can be in a band, this band is my family,” Baker emotionally says during the group’s acceptance speech for Best Rock Performance for “Not Strong Enough.”

Having won the award for Best Pop Duo/Group performance earlier in the day with her SZA collaboration, “Ghost In The Machine,” Bridgers became the person to walk away with the most Grammy awards of the night.

Later in the evening, Boygenius was asked about their perspectives on women in rock music. Bridgers uses this time to publicly denounce former Grammy CEO Neil Portnow and his previous statements regarding women winning Grammy awards. According to Associated Press, Portnow is currently being sued for sexual harassment charges. “To him I’d like to say, I know you’re not dead yet, but when you are, rot in piss,” Bridgers states.

rock and alternative music categories. “Music saved my life. Everyone can be in a band, this band is my family,” Baker emotionally says during the group’s acceptance speech for Best Rock Performance for “Not Strong Enough.”