Knights coach named Northeast coach of the year

First year head coach, Franchesca Nival was named the head coach of the year on Nov 4. In Nival’s first season she led the Volleyball team to a perfect (21-0) record and a NJCAA tournament.

Rookie head coach, Franchesca Nival was honored as the Northeast district coach of the year on Nov 4. In Nival’s first season she led the knights to a perfect (23-0) record and The Knight’s first national NJCAA tournament appearance. NECC website

“Winning coach of the year is a testimonial dream come true” said Nival. “When I was in college, I didn’t get to show my best efforts due to an injury, and later after I had to stop playing, but I then learned I loved coaching shortly after. I put a lot of work into perfecting my craft by studying the game, and make sure I gave every single player an equal amount of attention.” 

The 2023 volleyball saw a significant turnaround that finished (11-17) into region championship contenders the following year. 

“Francesca really turned the volleyball program around in her first season. She had some good recruiting connections that brought a group of young women from Lawerence back together that had a ton of success at the high school a couple years ago and they brought that success to NECC. I hope she can continue that trend and the volleyball teams continue to thrive moving forward” Athletic director Dan Blair said. 

Under Nival, The knights ranked first in-service aces per set with 5.48 and third in service aces. 

Four Knights were also named to region 21 all-team, Vielka Sanchez, Abigail Heredia, Chantel Melgen and Maria Reyes, all of Lawerence, MA. 

A photo of volleyball head coach, Francesca Nival named head coach of year
Knights volleyball head coach, Francesca Nival is named coach of the year