Crafting an effective elevator pitch

Imagine you are in an elevator with someone you hope to work. They turn to you and say, “Tell me about yourself.” You have 30 seconds before you reach the ground floor. Quick! What do you say? How much do you say?

Your elevator pitch is a concise summary of yourself. The name “elevator” represents the short amount of time it takes to deliver, like the time it takes to go from one floor to another, typically 30-60 seconds.

It’s important to practice your introduction to become confident. Focus on what you want the listener to know about you.

Do not be shy! Your elevator pitch is an opportunity to set a good first impression. You may not find yourself in an elevator with your future boss, but this introduction could be helpful when you attend a networking event, such as the Spring Job Fair on Thursday, April 25th in TC103 on the Haverhill Campus.

Create a concise pitch using the template below and start practicing with a friend. 

Here’s an example:

Hello, my name is Golden Knight and I am completing my liberal arts degree at Northern Essex Community College. I will be graduating next May and I am interested in a career that works with people and uses my technology skills. I’ve enjoyed the opportunity to create videos in my public speaking class and I’m looking to get more experience in social media marketing. Could you tell me about XYZ Company’s approach to marketing?

Template for Elevator Pitch

Customize this template and make it sound more like you!

1.) Hello, my name is ________________ and I am completing my degree in _________________ at Northern Essex Community College.

2.) I am interested in a career as a ______________________ in the ___________________ field (industry, e.g., marketing, computer science, etc.).

3a.) I have worked as a ___________________ and really enjoyed ____________________ (mention an aspect that relates to your future career).

OR

3b.) I have completed projects in __________________ and am excited to get more experi5ence.

4.) Could you tell me more about __________________

Contact NECC Career Services

Interested in a practice/mock interview? Schedule an appointment with NECC’s Career Services through Navigate or email.

Email: careerservices@necc.mass.edu

Navigate: https://necc.navigate.eab.com/ 

Handshake: www.necc.joinhandshake.com 

Join Career Services and MassHire Merrimack Valley Career Center for our upcoming job fair!

April 25, 2024 @ 10am–1pm | Haverhill Campus, TC103

See Page 9 for a flyer about the up coming job fair. ___________________________?