NECC Eclipse party

The eclipse is seen from NECC’s Haverhill campus on April 8.
The eclipse is seen from NECC’s Haverhill campus on April 8. Photo by Sports Editor Daniel Henrick

On April 8, Northern Essex Community College hosted an Eclipse Party for those who wanted to view the eclipse and spend time with friends and loved ones. The Career Services Staff at Northern Essex Community College also joined the Eclipse party, along with NECC staff and students. While I was fortunate enough to join the party as well, I also had the chance to interview a few people who also attended.

Talking to Olivia Ramirez, a Liberal Arts student, helped me understand more fully why people were so excited and anxious about the Eclipse. Ramirez stated, “This is my first time coming to NECC to join an Eclipse party and I must admit that I am excited about the experience. There are more people here than I ever expected. We are all gathered for a common reason and we’re extremely excited to see what an authentic eclipse looks like in real life.”

Gregory Mendoza, another student from Northern Essex Community College, also mentioned his excitement regarding this event. Mendoza stated, “I was reading an article on my phone and the article mentioned that in the United States, the eclipse is expected to cause a huge impact. One result mentioned was the possibility of an electricity shutdown, birds and wildlife were expected to escalate in behavior, and for a period almost complete darkness may occur. I was curious to see if any of these projections could be true. This is why I am so anxious to be here firsthand. I want to see what will occur before, during, and after this amazing celestial event.”

Sandra Smith, another student from NECC, mentioned her excitement about the event.  Smith mentioned, “I received an email to Northern Essex Community College students and staff inviting us to this party. At first, I thought my chance of attending such an event was very small. After reading the email and listening to all the excitement in the hallways, classrooms, and library, I must admit I was growing in curiosity to see what was going to happen. I decided to attend as my excitement grew. This is why I am here.”

While interviewing these three people for the college paper, I was able to learn more about how curiosity can catch people’s attention. All three people interviewed came to join the party looking for answers to different questions. Their common interest in the universe and humankind prompted them to ask what the results would be following this shared phenomenon. They wanted to see the results following something of such magnitude. They knew it would be an experience greater than themselves and many people were heard whispering about it being an “Aura from God,” but certainly from the heavens. Such an event occurs so seldom that to miss it would have been a tragic loss. For such an act of nature and the universe to engage the attention of so many people around the world, clearly grabbed the attention of millions. It was an awe-inspiring and spiritual event not to be missed.

The Eclipse Party had more than about 100 people watching. The students and staff joined the world with a human interest. They were happy and enjoying their time together and possibly even made some new friends. It was not the largest group convening to appreciate the eclipse around the country, But I can tell you it was one of the most excited and engaged groups I have seen. The spirit of the heavens tied a knot for humanity that day, and we all joined together in a common sense of awe and joy.