Do an internship before graduating

I changed my degree from Business Transfer to Communication & Journalism two semesters after I started at NECC. That decision was not easy to take, especially as I started to study in my 40’s, it is expected that at this age I have things clearer and as a mom of a child, I am supposed to be working and saving money for my child’s education, not stumbling around career pathways.

One way to confirm if I was in the right direction was through internships. 

Typically, the main reason for students to look for an internship is because it is part of their curriculum, for instance, for careers associated with health. 

Here at NECC, “there are a lot of programs that require experiential learning including but not limited to: Nursing, Radiologic Technology, Respiratory Care, Medical Assisting, and more in the health programs. Culinary Arts, Criminal Justice, Human Services, Early Childhood Education, and more,” said Sandy Rochon, Director of Career Services. 

Fortunately, NECC also offers internships as credit electives for programs like: Business, Computer and Information Sciences, Journalism/Communications, Liberal Arts, and Psychology. 

Spring 2023, I did an internship as part of a 3-credit elective for TDI or Transformative Development Initiative in Lawrence, which is part of Mass Development, a government organization.

The main objective for this internship was to engage in a civic engagement/leadership at a nonprofit or a government office. 

At the time I joined TDI, I collaborated in promoting a project that helped small business owners to improve their storefronts with a grant up to $30,000.

I worked on the outreach, and sometimes it was not easy. I faced some owners who were skeptical about the project, and they thought it was a scam. Some others needed extra assistance to participate as they were not familiar with the required documents to apply.

Also, I helped to organize “Taste of Lawrence,” a public event to promote the diverse food in Lawrence. 

This internship helped me to strengthen my leadership and communication skills but beyond that, I could see firsthand the immense value of local organizations working together for a common cause, and engaging communities to make Lawrence a more attractive place to live, work and visit. It was an honor to serve the public! 

Spring 2024, I did a second internship but this time at the longest running and most trusted Latino media outlet in New England, El Mundo Boston.

This time I was with my hands on what I am studying for, Journalism. The list of hats I wore and things I did is long, but I just want to state, be ready to do the opposite to what you aim for, embrace it, learn about it and champion it. 

While I was dreaming of working as an investigative journalist, my first assignment was in the entertainment department.

I will not forget when I was asked to write content for their social media about the Latino actor in “The Mandalorian,” I was, “who? The Mandarins? Is it a children movie?” I was terrified because I was far from series, movies or even theatre.

Here is the other statement, if you do not know about the required task, look for help among your classmates. You could be surprised about how passionate your peer sitting next to you is about a subject you know nothing at all. Shaun Hood, the prior A&E editor of The Observer gave me a hand and introduced me to his world. 

I was invited to the premiere of the JLo movie, “This Is Me…Now,” in Boston Seaport to watch it and interview some attendees. I invited Shaun and he helped me out to identify who was who in the cast. I was invited to the Wang theater in Boston to see the musical Hadestown and interview the lead actor. Shaun told me everything about the actor, director, the plot so, of course, he went with me as my camera assistant to the interview and we met other cast members at the end. 

When Spring semester ended, El Mundo Boston asked me to do a second internship with them during the Summer and of course I accepted.

I worked closely with the CEO Alberto Vasallo on a project to promote food businesses in Lawrence. The event was a total success. I interviewed patrons and owners of restaurants, and of course, I got to try their food to report about it. 

I got skills needed in the media industry like video editing, reporting news, fact checking, and creating content for their digital outlets. I was a guest writer introducing new and interesting subjects in a compelling way. 

One of my articles published by El Mundo Boston was about artificial intelligence.

This was the first time the paper addressed this subject to its Hispanic audience, and this was my presentation card to get a free ticket to the three-day Artificial Intelligence and Education Summit organized by MIT, Massachusetts Institute of Technology. I pitched to my editor for full coverage in exchange for it and it was accepted. I am fascinated with AI and its possibilities. 

So, what are you waiting for!? Either for confirming or pivoting your career interests or for having the experience in first person how the “real world” is in the field you aim for, just wait no more. Contact your career advisor or Career Services office at CareerServices@necc.mass.edu or visit https://www.necc.mass.edu/workforce/career-services/ and let me know how it goes!