Haiti: Who is in charge?

Today is Sunday April 7, 2024.  Tell me who is in charge in Haiti now?

“You want me tell you?” 

“Barbecue and his group,” said a source who is being kept anoynymous for safety reasons, during a phone conversation.

Why did you say that?

“I am telling you the truth.  He’s the only one who says something and executes it with power.”

Where are the authorities in the country?

“I am telling you there is no authority beside the gangs.  They are the authorities.  They do whatever they want and no one can stop them.  

“People are being killed and politicians are fighting for power whereas the one that (is) called government in place now is incapable of doing anything.  They are powerless.  They cannot agree on anything.”  

What exactly do the gangs want?

“I don’t know sometimes they say they want to put Guy Phillipe in power.  The other time they want to be on the negotiation table.  Nobody knows for sure what they really want.  They are talking about corrupted  oligarchy to get rid off but they only abusing the poor people.  Now no one is exempted from their violence but the oligarchs so nobody knows what is going to be next.   Every evening they are trying to take over the police  barrack in “Clercine.” Right now as I am talking to you, they fighting.  They want Guy Phillipe to be President so he will give amnesty to them after all the crimes they have been committed against the people.”  

“The international communities have removed their nationals via helicopter for 15-20 thousand dollars head to the Dominican Republic because no fly in Port-AU-Prince.  For us who don’t have a second country, we are in the mercy of God and as you might hear it before, I don’t see any sign that the day light is near.”  

As I was talking with this man, a round of automatic weapon started firing and he had to stop the conversation to hide his telephone in order to avoid being accused as police’s spy.  

This is the way life is in Haiti.  No one is safe!