Interviewing tips

Greetings, reader! Going into a job interview can be stressful and exciting. You spend a lot of time preparing and you’ve practiced interviewing, but have you considered the questions that can or cannot be asked during your interview?

The article provides valuable insights into the legal do’s and don’ts of job interviews, covering the types of questions that are off-limits and how to rephrase them appropriately. Students considering a career in Human Resources will find this information essential for conducting fair and compliant interviews.

Career Services offers interview practice meetings for current students and NECC graduates. We would be happy to work with you! Schedule a meeting thru Navigate or email careerservices@necc.mass.edu.

What can or cannot be asked in a job interview?

By Tatiana Rodriguez Almonte

My name is Tatiana Rodriguez Almonte. I am about to graduate in May and I am so excited to write this paper. I believe a lot of students would find it beneficial. Currently, I am completing an internship with Northern Essex Community College Career Services to learn more about talent acquisition. Career Services at NECC is a good resource for students with questions about employment and interviewing because they are always willing to help students to succeed with their educational goals.

Students who are considering a career in Human Resources should read this article because I will be talking about the tough questions that are illegal to ask in a job interview.

Job interviews are very important for both people who are searching for jobs and for companies who are seeking people to hire. While reading about the questions we should avoid asking when interviewing, I learned that asking people personal questions is illegal because it could be discrimination. The U.S Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and Yale University Office of Career Strategy both mention interviewers should not ask their candidate personal questions protected by laws such as race, color, religion, sex, national origins, age, or pregnancy. I learned that the only way an interviewer can ask an individual about their age is if the question is relevant to the job position. For instance, if the position needs to hire someone older than 20 years old.

When interviewing a candidate, the interviewer should always ask questions relevant to the position. It is illegal to ask applicants about their citizenship status, disability, or their national origin because that will make applicants feel uncomfortable and discriminated against. Yale University Office of Career Strategy provides a few examples of the questions interviewers should not ask in a job interview and what are the right questions to ask. To illustrate, an illegal question is to ask an applicant is “are you a citizen of the United States?” Instead, interviewers should ask, are you authorized to work in the United States? It is illegal to say, “Oh, you sound like you have an accent.” Instead, interviewers should ask, how many languages do you speak? in case the question is related to the job position. When interviewing an applicant, the interviewer should keep in mind it is illegal to ask about an arrest record, such as saying, “Have you been arrested before?” Instead, they should ask them, “Have you ever been convicted of any crime other than a traffic violation?” That way applicants will not feel discriminated against.

I must admit that each of these articles helped me a lot and now I have a better understanding of what the questions are that are illegal to ask and how to ask them in a correct and legal manner. While interviewing them, I noticed that each of them asked similar questions as to what the right and wrong questions to ask are when interviewing applicants. Through experience, knowing the legal guidelines and similarly following them, applicants can be assured of a fair interview. I now feel more confident as to what I should ask when I start working in the Human Resources Department as a recruiter.

 References

U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission. What can’t I ask when hiring?. (N.D).

https://www.eeoc.gov/employers/small-business/4-what-cant-i-ask-when-hiring

Petrone, P. “Breaking through the noise with relevant, insights-based content”. 16 Interview Questions That Can Get You In Trouble. (2016).

https://www.linkedin.com/business/talent/blog/talent-acquisition/interview-questions-that-can-get-you-in-trouble

Solomon of Learn Vest, K. The Muse. “10 Interview Questions You Should Never Ask (and 5 You Always Should). (2020).

https://www.themuse.com/advice/10-interview-questions-you-should-never-ask-and-5-you-always-should

Yale University. Office of Career Strategy. “Illegal Interview Questions”. (N.D).

https://ocs.yale.edu/channels/illegal-interview-questions/