The Academy Awards 2024: A night filled with exciting moments

The 96th Academy Awards, held at the Dolby Theatre in Los Angeles on March 10, celebrated the best of the film industry after a stellar year for movies. As it did all throughout last year since it’s release, Oppenheimer dominated the Oscars, taking home 7 Oscars wins. These wins were firsts  for director Christopher Nolan, winning Best Picture and Best Director. Irish actor Cillian Murphy also won his first in the best actor catagoryand Robert Downey Jr. took home Best Supporting Actor, making it his first overall win. 

Poor Things also had a historic night carrying home 4 Oscars in total, with Emma Stone winning Best Actress. Discouragingly, on top of the lack of Barbie love with the Oscar nominations, the Academy continued that by letting the movie walk away with no wins. 

Although one of the most memorable moments of the night was Ryan Gosling’s performance of “I’m Just Ken” from Barbie, so at least the fans had that. 

One of the most historic moments of the evening came when Da’Vine Joy Randolph, the Best Supporting Actress winner for The Holdovers, gave a heartwarming speech as she won her first Oscar. Accepting her award she said, “I didn’t think I was supposed to be doing this as a career. I started off as a singer and my mother said to me, ‘Go across that street to that theater department, there’s something for you there… I prayed for so long… I’ve always wanted to be different, but now I realize that I just need to be myself. Thank you for seeing me.’.

As the night drew to a close, attendees reflected on the transformative power of film to inspire, educate, and unite audiences worldwide. With promising new voices emerging and established talents continuing to push boundaries, the future of cinema looks bright and full of possibilities. 

When Christopher Nolan was accepting his first Oscar for Best Director he said, “Movies are just a little bit over a hundred years old. Imagine being there a hundred years into painting or theater,” he continued. “We don’t know where this incredible journey is going from here, but to know that you think I’m a meaningful part of it means the world to me. Thank you very much.”.

The 96th Academy Awards left a lasting impression (especially seeing a nearly nude John Cena on stage), not only for its celebration of cinematic excellence but also for its embrace of innovation, and inclusivity. 

As the film industry continues to evolve, the Oscars serve as a beacon of inspiration and a reminder of the enduring magic of the silver screen.